Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Letter from Jos


Dear Flo,

It seems like I've been doin this ride with you since long before it all started. Just the knowledge that you were planning this thing gave me courage to ride. I wanted to be part of it more than I have wanted to be part of something in a very long time.

I could hardly wait to read the forum posts every morning and evening. I cried when you struggled, laughed when you were clearly excited and having the time of your life. I came to love all the riders involved with this Goin with the Flo Conga.

It meant so much to me that I had to contact the media. I knew that the story was very important... more than your story... it was the story of all the women who want to find their inner resolve to go for it (whatever their it might be).

Each post on the forum confirmed that we were all of us a family. We were living your dream vicariously for much of your journey, but we went to bed at night thinking about you, and got up first thing in the morning thinking about you. My desktop image on my computer is of you kissing La Reina. Every time I got on my bike, I was thinking of you, and the women on the forum... especially Donna, Willi, and Dragon. I passed my MST because through all of you, I was able to let go of the fear I had about riding.

For you, the forum friendships became a physical reality. The women and men who rode with you, met you, blessed your journey. Many of us have only had the pleasure of meeting online... but the stories that were shared made all those friendships real. I know that there will be other Congas... but you started this one, and that makes us all love you so much. Yep, my eyes are wet, my heart is full.

I'm so glad I got to meet you, glad I was there when you got off the ferry, glad I got to meet those beautiful brothers and can claim y'all as family. I'm glad we rode just a little way with you. I'm thrilled we got A Channel to tell some of this story. I know that it will get a lot of women thinking about riding for themselves. I'm proud that you managed to make it a ride for charity too. I know I'm one of the lucky women who can actually say she got to meet, hug, kiss you. I am lucky enough to live on this island and look forward to riding with you again.

You've given me an awful lot. I'm so proud to be a biker, and so glad that you inspired me. That little A Channel story is also going to inspire others... and so will all the wonderful forum friends who will continue (as I do) to tell your story, their story, our story.

I love ya!

Jos Blog of Jos

No comments: