Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Letter from Dot/BikerHen

Ok, Flo... long email coming up here., nah.. I'll make it two emails, one about you and one for me.
First, yes, you should write a book about your experiences. Think about what a biography looks like, visit a library (don't buy them) and look at different formats that people have used. If I was you, I'd use the journalling format, it is exactly like blogging entries, only more indepth.

Think about when we were kids and had diaries... exactly the same, but because of our wonderful modern technology you can add pictures and we call it blogging.
Think of this book over-all (this is a bit briefer than a synopsis, but the same kind of thing) ...
A woman (who) decides to take up biking (why, when) and at first it's slow going (what, how), then she starts meeting people, getting involved and everything snowballs until she's riding across a continent, sometimes alone, sometimes with strangers who have become bosom buddies...
Yes, that's what books are made of. You are insanely popular and this would sell big time. You could even name it 'Riding the CongaLine' or some such.. 'The Birth of the Conga'.. don't worry, your friends will help you with that.
And get ready for another TV spot when they hear you are writing a book. (You were so cool under fire, woman, you were WONDERFUL)
So first chapter would be about what prompted you into biking, way back when.... and I'd still use diary form, making up dates if you don't know them. Something sparked it.. it doesn't have to be big, remember the climax of this book is the journey across the country so you will build toward that climax.2nd and 3rd chapter, various experiences that left an impact4th chapter, forum participation and how and why you started your forum and what that has led to5th chapter would be what led up to finding/buying LaReina and 6th chapter would be your journey 7th chapter would be the aftermath of your experience, yet to be lived..
Remember, and this I had trouble with... a book can be any size. It doesn't have to be a 400 pages to me that you have to balance on your stomach to read. It can be 60 pages, or 100 pages. It can be exactly what it is. Chapters and chapter headings are all optional, it could be part 1 - My old self, part 2 - the Biker Chick, part 3 - the Conga ... see, anything goes.

Now, this is exactly what my publisher is looking for, so check her out... www.duffiebooks.com And I will help you as much as I can, although I'm just a new writer myself....Dot

No comments: