Monday, May 12, 2008

News Coverage??




This is Schjossie a VILR AND WWR regular. She has not been riding very long at all and full of enthusiasum.
She came up wtiht the idea that we have a good news story.
Being that so often the news is sad and depressing. She took it upon herself and sent me this post!!!

Hello WonderWoman,
I've sent a news release to A Channel in Victoria and to Global BC and to Chek Television. Is there a limit here? I hope not, because I'm going to copy and paste what I wrote.
Dear Newsroom (each individually addressed)I want to bring a special story to your attention.

This one illustrates the power of the internet with respect to providing support and encouragement. I'll try to be brief, and I will also include a link that will allow you to investigate this a bit further.

I recently started learning to ride a motorcycle. So what? Well, the fact is that I'm a 57-year-old grandmother. My husband and son have both been riding for some time, both learned when they were young testosterone-filled men. Though they can teach me, they weren't exactly the role models I required. I heard about something called Vancouver Island Lady Riders, and when I googled that, I discovered a forum for women riders.
This forum exists under another forum called Women Who Ride. I signed up, introduced myself, and before long I was receiving encouragement and inspiration that suited my gender and age.
One woman in particular, Flo, is truly inspiring. Flo comes from Campbell River. She started riding just three years ago and she's 53 now. At this moment, she's preparing to ride a motorcycle from Florida (where she's picking it up), all the way to Campbell River.
She's doing this on her own... but she's far from alone! Her journey across the States and into Canada will be made with the support of riders from almost every State. The women from the Forum are forming a Conga line to support Flo on her journey. Not only that, but they will also be offering her their spare beds along the way.
At this point it seems that Flo will be accompanied practically every step of the way, perhaps only riding alone through Arizona.
Flo should arrive in BC sometime between the 5th and 7th of June. She'll be met at the border by one of the riders from the lower mainland. Once she crosses over on the ferry, she'll be met by a contingent of riders from Vancouver Island.

I think we'll feel like an honour guard by this time.We're all watching the forum for daily updates. One woman with experience as a dispatcher has taken it upon herself to co-ordinate meeting points.

But all of the women on the forum are with Flo in spirit... all living her journey vicariously. All sending out prayers for her safety. Yes, she is an inspiration, but she's certainly not alone.
There are many threads concerning the Conga line on the forum, but I've included just one link here. I'm sure you can check further, and I sure hope you do just that. It would be so great to hear about such a supportive network of riders, and I think it would be wonderful to see the last leg of Flo's ride featured on our local TV station.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/VILR/messages/?msg=411.1Many thanks for your time and consideration.
Josee DuffhuesLadysmith, BC250-245-8480

They did call her and also have written back. Here is one response.
Hi Josee,
Is Flo coming through Victoria and then up island or through Nanaimo. Will she have photos or video of her journey?
Sounds interesting?
Rob Lowrie Assignment Desk CHEK █ NEWS Phone: 250-480-3700 rlowrie@cheknews.ca

No comments: