Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Oyster Run Weekend.

We got back at 9pm on Monday morning from a great weekend at the Oyster Run. It was a first for me, and I woulD say it was a mini, mini, Sturgis. Of course I have never been to Sturgis but saw pics and heard stories. Probably not too much of a comparison, the more I think about it. But 20 thousand or so bikes was quite a site to behold. (HALF FOOT DRAGGERS!)

Me, Rob, Eric, and Shawn, THE FUHR FACTOR, and Stephen... We left CR at 10 am and headed to the Duke point ferry for Tswassin. The weather was unbelievable. Steven really wanted to go with us, but it was not possible, so he headed home from Nanaimo.
Brother Carl, had to back out because he had to work. We were all pretty disapointed but that is the way it goes. Shawn was really looking forward to traveling with his Uncs and Auntie... This was Shawns first trip on the Island on his new ride to. Into the US in Washington in Anacortes. The run wasn't until Sunday so we had lots of time to get there.
The weather was awesome and we did run into some friends along the way but got separated after we stopped at our hotel.
We get all settled in our room and have a good night, and are all excited about the ride in the morning. It took us a little while to get going as Shawn was having issues with is radiater fluid leaking out. Nothing a little un bolting couldn't fix.
Anyway the ride to Anacortes from where we were was about an hour of nice twisties. It didn't matter at what stop by this point, there were bikes coming at you in every direction.
It was really cool to see the smile on Shawns face and at one point, he just looked at me and said "I'm lovin it"
The scenery on the way there is beautiful, and the leaves are starting to turn colors.The water was sparkling along the coast, the smell of the farms and the twisties with the fresh air in the morning, was so invigorating.
As we were pulling into town, there were bikes EVERYWHERE!!! We just took a side road and parked out of the way, and started to walk around. Bikes of all kinds, people of all kinds. It was great people watching even though I dont normally like too big of crouds.
The bikes are just crawling up the mainstreet. OMG.... FOOT DRAGGERS!! From both sides.. Now normally I wouldn't have noticed this so badly, but after RLAPING so much it as unbelievable. If I sold a dvd to every footdragger I would have been rich.
We ran into a few people from the Island. The streets were jammed so it was hard to believe we would see anyone we knew. We went and had some raw oysters and a beer and listen to some head banging shit music and people watched, then it was time to get outa there.
The boys spent some money on leathers and then we watch the Cossacks Drill Team. That was quite the performance all the bikes riding in unisence and at one time 5 people on a bike. That was the highlight of the day for me. Thinking shit I wish I was younger I would try out for it.. Mind you the oldest guy was 73 and still had people standing on his shoulders.
We hung around people watched went for pizza and headed back to Bellingham.
All in all a great weekend, didn't want it to end because of the weather. I think we put on about 400 miles which isn't lot but better than nothing.
I have like 26,000 miles on my bike now, since I left Florida just over 10 thousand.
Oh ya... just had to stop at Trev Dealy Harley and buy another skull or two.. ;)

Man oh man, they were crawling, duck walking with there hand on the front brake while they were wobbling all over the place. Shyte, I so wanted to start selling dvd's. I found I had to shut my mouth, but then everyone else started noticing all the duck walkers on their big hogs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO! Good way of saying it like it is with the FOOTDRAGGERS! Amazing, isn't it?? :) Glad you had a good weekend!
Love ya,
Doc

Flo said...

It was amazing!! Scarey!
Crikey!!