Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rod's Memorial Ride Aug 3


Qualicum Beach

Buckley Bay fueling up

Rod's Students

Flo-Wendy-BigE


We left Dragons house about 8:30 and only had to go to the highway which is seconds away from her place, and wait for the first group to show up.. 443 coming from Victoria and there abouts. I assumed probably 4 bikes as a lot of people were away on holidays. I can't remember all the names, as a lot of them I met for the first time. I think we had a dozen bikes there. I was already getting excited. Everyone introducing them selves and big hugs all around.

I had my new vest on that I got from one of my Conga girlfriends Tequilasheila, from Nova Scotia. I had the ROD RIDE WITH ME patches sewn on each shoulder. I always said that Rod rides with me on my shoulder... (course now I got the MOTORMAN too)

We rode to Ladysmith to pic up the Taz, she was sitting there waiting on the side of the road with her usual big grin.. Boy this gal is getting some experience in on her first year of riding. After we fueled up we headed to Northfield parking lot where the gang from Courtenay, CR, PA, were waiting, I figured about at least 8 and we would have our 20 people and then when we went to the school to meet Wendy she would get a great big smile on her face of 20 bikes coming in.
As we were pulling up to the spot our road lead Slyboy, must not have saw them or didn't know we were to stop, so we turned off and I was waving away to about 30 or more bikes. omg... I could feel tears fro some reason. It is always such a pretty picture, and to know the reason behind it makes it even more special.

Suddenly Dragon our tailgunner realised what went on a whips up beside Slyboy and and before you knew it we did the most beautiful U-turn of about 20 bikes.

We all pulled in and I was gob smacked at how many of us there were. I knew about half the people, but we just all went around hugging and introducing ourselves. So when we all pulled into he parking lot at the school, it looked so nice. There wasn't many from Wendy's side and she later told me she was worried we would not show. It was a very nice surprise.

I still had 10 patches left over that I had ordered a year ago, and they all sold. I also had 10-001 patches that I gave to Wendy and she insisted that I keep one for myself. Rods brother and his wife Micheal and son were there and a few others I had never met. Her son told me how much he enjoyed the patch and is having it tatooed on himself. That did make me feel good, that I chose something he was so proud to wear , for life. I can't believe a year has gone by already.

As we had such a big group, on a busy weekend, we all agreed that we needed to split up because without a doubt we were going to get split up anyways. We had 5 groups of about 10. It was a nice leisurly ride to Qualicum Beach our next meeting stop. Little did we know though that one of the riders went down and another ran into her, shortly after getting out of the parking lot. It was Wendy's sister inlaw Micheal. She was on her new Harley and wasn't really comfy and the rider behind her ran into here.. Sad as she ended up in the hospital and Rods brother and her never got to do the ride. Fortunately it was too too bad and she will be okay.
We are luck to have our experience road leader and tail gunners that took care of business really well.

The riders were held up at Qualicum for awhile and we lost some riders because it too long of a wait. The rest of us just mingled and got to know each other more. Lots of laughs... pictures of course and food.
Our Robocob Dave showed too which was a really nice surprise as he has offered his time to work with us in the parking lot in CR.
Off we went eventually to our next stop in Duncan Bay, where we fulled up and Wendy made a little speach thanking us all for coming out. We all decided that it was so great, we wanted to do it anually. I believe one of the SCRC members will take it on.

From there we went to Oyster Bay and had a great lunch buffet at the Driftwood. Everyone went there separate ways and headed home.

It was a fabulous day weather wise, friends and food.

No comments: